Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Here's a piece by Andrew Sullivan in TNR about Kerry and Clark and some of the things they said during the recent Demo candidate debate in Detroit. I wish I'd have known about it in advance, just so I could have studiously avoided it. I met John Kerry about twenty years ago, very briefly, when he was shaking hands outside the polling place during his first campaign. It was raining and I remember wondering what he was doing---he was shaking hands with people leaving, not entering. (Apparently there was a law against campaigning close to a polling place, which I hadn't known about then) The cameras were rolling...and his Hair Was Perfect. Some things never change. When I read about Kerry's, uh, prevaricating or whatever the hell it is, it just reminds me of that day, and how sometimes first impressions are pretty damn accurate. As for Clark, when I read that this guy was first in his class at West Point, I imagine courts martial, and floggings, for whoever runs and teaches that once-proud institution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home